Okay, I swear, I still have plans to sew Butterick Retro â€™52 B4790 before Spring settles in. BUT FIRST… I finally found the black, stretchy twill-like fabric that Iâ€™ve been looking for to make into one of the knee-length skirt options of Simplicity 5259. Now, while this might be easy-peasy for some of you sewers and seamstresses* out there, itâ€™s still a bit of an endeavor for me. I only have two completed skirts under my belt, uh, no pun intended, and this will be the first one that I donâ€™t plan to shortcut, and will actually use the interfacing on.
Once Iâ€™m done with the skirt, wouldnâ€™t those capris look sweet in a red-and-white gingham, with patch pockets?
*I was going to make a joke about seamsters, but it turns out to be an actual, though archaic, word for a tailor.
3 Replies to “new skirt”
I made that butterick one well I should say that I tried to make it. It was my first attempt at sewing a complete garment. I had to hide it from myself so I wouldn’t feel the guilt of doing such an incredibly poor job. It was of course my fault and not the patterns. It all started with dollar bin fabric, I can’t say for sure that that is where it all went wrong but it is easier to blame the poor defenseless fabric that to take responsibility myself. I will make it over again, I might have to buy the pattern again just so I don’t inherit the obvious gremlins that came inside the last pattern. Good luck, I hope your turns out way better than mine.
You can do it! Black and stretchy material will hide a multitude of sins. Make it snug! – I think stretch material looks weird with too much ease sewn in. Here’s a great tutorial I just came across for bubble-free zip insertion, if like me you find the zipper the most stressful part:
The Sewing Divas rule.
Thanks for sharing that great link, Nora! My plans for the skirt most certainly donâ€™t include much ease… Iâ€™m going for wiggle effect with this one. 🙂