This Simplicity pattern is not so simple.
Not that it was difficult by any means, but… I am THAT stupid. (More after the break)
Problem 1: The directions instruct me to sew the back center seam and insert the zipper. Oh yeah? There is no back center seam. Because the pattern layout guide suggested that I cut that piece along the fold, through two layers of fabric. Hmmm. I could cut it in half, but then it might wind up being too snug. Not a problem, Iâ€™ll insert the zipper along the side seam. Brilliant problem solving!
Note: This is the fourth and best zipper Iâ€™ve ever done. Even, neat, invisible. Yay, me!
Problem 2: In my haste to finish the skirt, I neglected to try it on for fitting before attaching the facing at the waist. Surprise, surprise: this will come back to bite me.
Problem 3A: Attaching the facing at the waist. For the non sewers: this is a curved strip of fabric that runs, in this case around the waistband, to provide extra support and a â€œfinishedâ€ look. Because THERE IS NO BACK CENTER SEAM, I need to sew the facing together so that it will open along the side, where the zipper now resides. But I forgot all about the repositioned zipper. Okay, I could easily take out the very short seam I just stitched, which would then allow it to open up on the side. But… I simply didnâ€™t think of that. Instead, I spun it around 90 degrees, so I could attach it sideways. (Yeah, really. Go right ahead, Iâ€™ll give the people who know what theyâ€™re doing a minute to finish laughing.)
Problem 3B: The directions inform me that the facing will hang over by 1/2 inch on both ends. So I begin to pin it in that way… and itâ€™s coming up short. Right. Because the designers thought there would be another seam! An inch less fabric! I unpin, and repin. I STILL DO NOT TRY ON THE UNFINISHED SKIRT. Nope, didnâ€™t occur to me at all.
Problem 4: The skirt is finished! NOW is when I finally get around to trying it on. And… itâ€™s too big. Surprise, surprise. Thatâ€™s not a problem, though, Iâ€™ll just… oh, shit. I already sewed the facing on. Not with a loose basting stitch, no. With TWO rows of #2 straight stitch. Thatâ€™s an awful lot of seam ripping, and itâ€™s not as if itâ€™s hanging off me… itâ€™s just sitting a bit lower on my waist than it was designed to.
Solution to all preceding problems: Make it again, WITH a back center seam (now that Iâ€™ve READ THE FRIGGINâ€™ PATTERN PIECE that is clearly printed with â€œcut 2â€). For some reason, even though I bought exactly the amount of fabric suggested for View F, I have a lot left over. So much, in fact, that there is juuuuuust enough to cut out another skirt, if I make the facing from a different fabric. Itâ€™s as if they knew I was gonna screw this up! And so, one more trip to JoAnn (continuing thanks to Mandy, who bought me a JoAnn gift card!) to rummage through the remnant basket for something in a leopard print for the facing, and a new 7-inch zipper. As I write this (hours before Iâ€™ll actually post), I still have time to cut out the skirt panels! And maybe even fit them together! Before I cut and sew the facing this time! Oh, frabjous day!
And so it is in progress. With a new zipper and a bit of leopard to finish it off, itâ€™s going to be GREAT! I had enough room to cut the bottom hem about a half inch longer, in hopes that I can tweak it into a slightly higher waist when all is said and done. Updated post in the coming days!
3 Replies to “Simplicity 5259: Results”
I feel your pain.
This is precisely why I simply cannot get along with patterns.